Jan 28, 2012

Saving The Tail


4 1/2 weeks of battling Helen's tail wound & I'm feeling a little defeated because it still hasn't healed.  This poor girl & my poor house!  This summer when Helen came into rescue, her tail was a mess & IBR took great care of it. Everything healed & all her hair grew back.  After a bad foster care situation, her tail is once again in jeopardy. It looks much better than the day I brought her home, I wish I had taken a picture of it then, but it still looks SO bad!
I met up with Lisa from IBR to get different meds to treat her Lyme & Ehlrichia and also to learn what her tricks were in fixing it the first time around.  Unfortunately, most vets aren't as knowledgeable on treatment of these diseases & so I struggle everytime I go in.  I'm getting a crash course on these 2 tick-borne diseases thanks to Lisa & all her research. Last night Helen started her new meds, so fingers crossed this is the answer to saving her tail. 

In less than 24 hrs, I've had to rewrap & change bandages 6 times! I'm exhausted, frustrated, & feeling like a failure.....but Helen is the most snuggly, loving girl & I have to keep on pushing.

She's SO good for me when its time to wrap her tail.  She lays down & lets me sit completely on top of her.  She doesn't move or fight, but complains the entire time with this funny moaning.  It's hysterical, I'm going to try & get it on video the next time.  She almost sounds like a cat purring & it cracks me up.