Jan 25, 2012

New Foster Home

It has been 4 weeks since we brought Helen Jane into our home to foster her & get her back on the road to being the healthy, happy girl she deserves to be. This is my first time ever "blogging" so bare with me. I'm going to keep this up as Helen reaches those amazing milestones but wanted to catch everyone up first. I'm not sure who's getting more out of the "new" foster experience, Helen or my family.

December 28, 2011 we went to see her & she was a very sick, very skinny little girl.  She had ZERO house manners but a heart of gold & several open wounds, including a severe tail injury we are still battling.  She was so hungry she ate everything in site, including a glass ornament & several of my kids toys.  She was just feeling so awful & in so much pain, I can't blame her for being a little crazy & cranky.  Even feeling as awful as she did, she was a lover. The vets couldn't believe how calm she was while they poked & prodded her. She had so many open wounds I needed to care for.  Twice a day (sometimes more) I had to change bandages & Helen put up no fight, none...well, except for her little moaning noise, she's a vocal girl :)

Today is 4 weeks since we brought her home! I can't believe how far she's come. She's gained 15.5lbs & after being on her meds for Lyme she's feeling like a million bucks.  This past weekend we took her out pheasant hunting (no guns) and I'm not sure who had more fun, Helen or us.  I wish I had pictures, but with a 3 & 5 yr old in tow, knee deep in snow, a photo op just wasn't on my radar.  Next time!  The first pheasant got up & Helen froze like a deer in headlights. As the bird flew off, she looked at my husband, he cheered her on & the game was began.  I think she chased at least 12 birds that day & by the end she held point until he released her.  She was so happy & loving every minute so much that she didn't not want to leave the fields.  For the first time in 4 weeks, she didn't come when called. She just stood there in the field looking at my husband like he was crazy.

Yesterday she chased & wrestled with our other pointer, Kali.  HUGE deal since they haven't gotten along all that great since Helen's arrival. Helen is a bit of a dominant dog but I think they have officially worked it out.  Kali wasn't so keen on the wrestling match but Helen gets an A for effort as she bowed to Kali w/ her cute little pointer butt in the air trying to convince Kali to chase her.

This past month with Helen has been such an amazing experience & I can't wait to see what else is in store for us.  Hopefully, that wonderful forever home will come soon for her.  After everything she's been through, she's deserves to find that sooner that later.  In the meantime, while she's hanging with us, I'll post some pics & write about her progress.